Thread: S&W Model 63 5"
View Single Post

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I bought my 5" 63 from the estate of a friend a year ago. It joined my then a year old 4" x10 617 - my favorite .22 - still - but the 5" 63 is close behind.

Obviously, I changed the grips to the Hogue 'square conversion' J-frames - a great help. I wish they were wood, of course, like the Ahrends retro targets on my 617. Not so obvious, I swapped out the springs, using Wolff's strongest of the three J-frame hammer coil spring set - a significant improvement - and a lighter rebound coil sring - a minor improvement. I also deburred the rebound slide and cleaned & lubed the innards before re-assembly. The result was a far lighter - and smoother - DA trigger, the SA trigger retaining it's predictably brisk break. It will never be the equal of my 617, but it is still nice. Also - no ftf's with any of my ammo. Okay, there was one - but it proved to be a dud. I tried a green HiViz - standard pinned S&W .250" height - no sight adjustments were needed, but the base was too long... oops!

I noted the overhang while I tapped the rollpin in place - blue Loctite and everything. I still haven't changed it - it didn't need any tweaking! I can live with it - it really helps with my 'mature' peepers. Another goodie - DS-10 makes a great x10 speedloader for my 617 - got one 1.5+ yr ago - loads of fun. I've had my x8 - and a 4 x 8 base plate - for my 63 (also fits the 317) - for 6+ months - also fun - and fast to reload.

My 5" 63 is not the equal of my 4" 617... but it is close. The 'pointability' is fantastic, in comparison - and the longer sight radius helps, too - they offset the slightly more stout DA trigger. Switching between bulk packed Federal 'Automatch' (325 rounds/box) to el-cheapo (550/box) makes little difference in point of impact. It 'likes' everything, although the high speed CCI's (Velocitor) are loudest. I can't speak to bullseye use, sad to say, but it picks off small silhoettes at 12-15 yd with relative ease and great consistency. I've shot as many as 400-500 rounds between cleanings, with no ill effects (... other than my anal desires to clean it!). Try to find a holster for it - or a 5" 60!

Stainz

PS You'll forget the price shortly after you buy the new 5" 63 - which is no longer available. It's 2010 replacement, a 3" 63 with a HiViz, is still not in S&W's build schedule, so another new 63 is still a dream.

Last edited by Stainz; 09-30-2010 at 09:22 AM.