View Single Post

Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts

Well, that changes things a bit!

HP-38/W231 is a good choice for those loads in each caliber that are for putting holes in paper, 700-850fps or so. HS-6 is a great choice for taking it to the next level, the 1000fps range, while H110/W296(in handguns) is the better choice of the two you mentioned.

The reason I say that is because of the information about excessive barrel wear from Lil' Gun in revolvers. I use it extensively in pistol caliber carbine rifles, especially lever guns, and have had wonderful results with it. A 357mag that gives me bottom end ballistics of a 35 Remington and a 240gr XTP in 44Mag doing over 1850fps with acceptable accuracy is what I'm talking about.

The latter mentioned rounds have taken a few animals. The hog I shot with it lost his right eye and about half of his skull behind it at 60 yards. Needless to say, DRT. I also shot two rams and they too folded up pretty much where they were shot.

Out of a handgun though, especially my Smith M629 Classic with a 5" barrel, I use H110/W296. I get almost the same velocity as I would have with Lil' Gun but none of the worries recently attributed to it.

FWIW