View Single Post

Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Liked 9,093 Times in 3,364 Posts

I had one back in the 70's. Aluminum frame, small 380. GCA'68 stopped importation. Carried it for 6 or 7 years. Functioned perfectly with FMJ. Not so well with any of the hollow point, etc ammo around at the time. Can be quite a handfull to shoot as there is not much there to hang onto and the light weight. I liked the external hammer design but don't carry with the hammer down on a cartridge in the chamber as the FP is not the inertia type IIRC. You're going to have to trust the thumb safety with the pistol on full cock with a loaded round in the chamber.
Traded it off for a Walther PPk postwar mfg in .22LR.

I don't remember if it was this model or another that Colt was going to import with their name on it and then changed their mind (GCA68 helped) and started producing the .380 Pony on their own.
FI and someone else (Iver Johnson?) marketed the one Colt rejected. Those have steel frames instead of the aluminum. Built in the US to avoid the import problem. Some parts may have been import and assembled here at least early on.

I almost bought another one at a show a year ago or so. Just to have I guess. But I hesitated and it was gone. That one was priced at $300 and in 90%+ condition w/2 mags. Probably could have bought it for a bit less.

Star collectors like the Starfire (I think it's the Model 'DK',,K designation for aluminum frame) They bring decent money. The colored frame ones bring the most. You could buy them with frames annodized in Blue, Gold and some other colors.

Last edited by 2152hq; 10-05-2010 at 10:42 AM.