View Single Post

Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM

Liked 1,678 Times in 280 Posts

Bottom to Top
4" & 6" 57-1's,
6" & 3" 657's,
Mallard Duck belonging to my young Golden.

Just got the 3" 657 a short while ago, am thinking of going w/wood Houges on it.
Nice story to it. Older gentleman who's been in our club forever usually swings by the range during his daily round about town. I'm a morning shooter and have had numerous conversations w/him. He's very knowledgable about firearms (and history, politics, geography....) One day I was shooting a 6.5" 624 and he mentioned he'd never gotten around to owning a .44spl.
I had another 624 identical to the one I was shooting. In the past he'd mentioned he had a 3" 657. I offered to trade him, he said he'd think about it. Several days later he showed up w/the 657 and said let's trade. I told him he hadn't seen my offering and it was at home. His response was I'd said it was in nice shape and he trusted me.
I ran home got the 624 and a box of shells and met him at the range. I wanted his gun but wasn't comfortable w/the way this deal was going, I felt an even trade wasn't fair to him. I told him this and he replied it was fair from his point of view. I persisted telling him a 3" 657 was more desireable than a 6.5" 624. Not from his point of view he told me. "It's OK Kevin" he said.
We did the deal.
Later I related my experience w/a longtime club member who knows the gentleman well. I was a bit concerned about being viewed as having taken advantage of the gentleman. This member told me prior to the deal the two of them had a conversation and the gentleman had told him he was making the trade because he could tell I really wanted the 657. I also found out he has an extensive firearms collection, double bbl rifles, classic shotguns, drillings shotgun/rifles and a ton of collectable handguns.
I believe he knew the dollars and cents of our deal, it was an act of kindness on his part. Perhaps because on occassion I stopped my shooting and sat down and chatted w/him? No charity on my part, I thoroughly enjoy our conversations.
Kevin
The Following 10 Users Like Post: