View Single Post

Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,879 Times in 417 Posts
Talking

OK guys here is where I'm at after all of your valuable input: The chips have the aroma of snake oil but the flash systems sound like the real deal albeit at a hefty price. I don't have the desire or requisite knowledge to start fooling around with multiple "tunes". The performance I am currently getting is as good if not better, than any other similarly utilized F-150's that I've encountered. On the flat I get about 11.3 Mpg (towing the 18' 4k lb trailer), in the serious mountains it drops to about 10, the 3k + mile trip averaged out at 10.79 and around town it is a steady 16.5. Acceleration is adequate, especially the feather footed way I drive.

Bottom line I think Ford pretty much got it right and screwing around with the tune to extract a little more power at the expense of mileage or the inverse, better mileage at the expense of power doesn't seem to be worth the potential risk/expense. If the day ever comes when I just have to have more HP/Torque I'll suck it up and buy a 3/4 Ton diesel - can you say "Cha Ching?" Actually with diesel going for 30 to 40 cents a gallon more than my 87 octane regular it would take more miles than I put on the truck a year to justify the additional expense just to break even on fuel costs let alone the big number that accompanies a nice 3/4 ton diesel.

However, I must confess to holding to a similar line of thinking for years saying my 357's were more than enough gun and that I really didn't "need" a 44 mag.... but am now the happy owner of a Dan wesson 6". Thanks again for all of your input. i can always count on this forum for answers. (o;