View Single Post

Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,370 Times in 6,009 Posts
Default The wonderful world of J-frames!

I was musing today on the fact that in spite of the spate of new concealed-carry semiautos, a whole lot of people still cling to the tried-and-true S&W J-frame revolvers for self-protection. Total reliability combined with ease of carry and minimal maintenance make for a near perfect combination.

I just did an inventory of my Js. I thought I'd share them with you, together with my thoughts on how best to employ each. Here goes:

First, we'll start with the little lightweight Model 317, which accepts 8 rounds of .22 LR. I pack this one in an ankle holster when my mode of dress will not permit anything heavier. It's one of a few J-frames that does not feel like an anchor on my ankle when I move around a lot. For those who feel this is not adequate self-protection, I can only ask if you would like to get shot in the face with 8 rounds of anything!

This Model 60 is equipped with a unique set of grips - the old Bianchi "Lightnings." These grips turn the Models 60, 36, etc. into shrouded hammer guns that can be pulled without fear of snagging. They do increase the weight and bulk somewhat, so I find this number best in a shoulder holster with a covering jacket. The molded rubber grips give a good solid feel and excellent recoil reduction. No longer made, but you can occasionally find them at gun shows.

This Model 442 is equipped with Barami Hip-grips, and is my most-often-used concealment piece. I simply slip it in my right front Levi's pocket; the tab on the right grip keeps it from sliding down in the pocket so I can grab it easily. It's covered by a tail-out shirt easily. As this gun is black, I use it most often during the day so an adversary will see it for deterrent effect immediately.

If there is a chance that a longer shot might have to be taken, either a Model 49 or 649 should do the trick. With a shrouded hammer, they can be fired either double- or single-action. The nickeled 49 is for inside-the-pants-holster wear, while the 649 is equipped with Hip-grips; no holster required.

The Model 642 is used (with Hip-grips) at night, for the exact same reason I use the 442 during the day. The gun will be readily apparent to an opponent when drawn.

As much as I like the Hip-grips, I do find the grips themselves a bit skinny for best grasping. That's why I use grip adapters with them. An alternative is presented here. This is a Model 640 with the excellent Herrett's Shooting Star grips I had ordered to fit my hand years ago. I think they are tops for the J-frames. In order to use this gun without a holster, I've attached a "Clipdraw" device to allow it to be stuffed into my waistband or pocket. Works pretty well, but holds the gun higher than I'm used to with the Hip-grip.

For the purists, this is a "back to the future" J-frame. It's a nickeled Model 40-1, incorporating the grip safety of the original Model 40, but designed for +P ammo. It's strictly a holster gun as presently set up. Look, ma! No ugly hole for a "safety!"

As you can see, I'm a great fan of the J-frames. You may have similar set-ups that you favor. Bring 'em on!

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 09-26-2018 at 02:56 PM.
The Following 106 Users Like Post:
1911-10MM, 22/32 JDF, 22dec, 69HEMI-R/T, ABPOS, Alnamvet68, Beach-Hunter, Beauetienne, Blackbarry, BuckeyeS&W, Buddy2507, buythebead, C&R Bill, caddy2507, Chipmunk6, Chubbo, colkid, Condorcet, Continental Op, Czechvar, damienph, Data, deputy584, DevilDog72, dh2683, dipperdave, duke77togo, Edmo, fkd713, Frank46, Fredo Batali, Garintheair, HamHands, HardToHandle, haywood, Hddeuce, Helderberg, hkcavalier, imakmst, in2guns, jclo3313, jframe, jframejoey, Jim1392, Joe Kent, Joezilla, john in mich, kaaskop49, kbak67, klind45, Kolarshooter, kozmic, labworm, lawandorder, LB001, les.b, LewiRose, Mark6005, Maximumbob54, MB3845, mc5aw, mgriffin, mic214, mjluc, Mr. Wonderful, Narragansett, OIF2, Old cop, oldnotdead, olskool, onebilly43, opaul, pawncop, peepaw, ProgressiveTruth, R.J. in Phoenix, Rick_A, rolomac, RT7.62ammo, rwt1405, sdb321, Sgt.Peck, sheepdawg09, Shooter Mike, Shorty 45 MK2, shouldazagged, sixs&eights, smithfelty, smitty_bs, snowman.45, sqhead, StevieC, Stroganoff, Struckat, sunnyd, TACC1, tcm, Todd K., tumbleweed40, Ugly_Dog, VeritasVincit, Watchdog, wheelman44, Wiregrassguy, WLB, xk31