View Single Post

Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts
Default Odd Issues in SAS Video. Questions!

YouTube - SAS pistol training

View this video, featuring British SAS troops training with the SIG-Sauer P-228 9mm pistol. (Called M-11 in limited issue with US forces, like Naval investigators and pilots.) Some short H-K MP-5 SMG action at the last.

Note that the instructor says to load with TEN round magazines. Don't P-228 mags usually carry at least 13 rounds? More?

Also, he says that the bullet will drop between 10-15-20 meters. Really? Enough to throw one off of a man-sized target? The head of that target, more than very little?

What do others here think? Note that the soldiers here are in fact very proficient with their handguns. How many of you can honestly say that you are as good? I was, but am getting rusty. Guess I need to hit the range more...

And, how far out would you take a head shot on a terrorist, unless you could have a few seconds to refine your aim? These days, I'm not too happy doing it much beyond 20 feet. Beyond that, center mass is more likely to give good results in a hurry. Remember, these guys shoot a lot at government expense or they wouldn't be so keen on taking head shots!

T-Star
Note that some of the soldiers are wearng facial disguises. Given their duties, they cannot otherwise appear in public videos.

Last edited by Texas Star; 10-17-2010 at 06:12 AM.