View Single Post

Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts
Default 629-1 cylinder failure to rotate when firing.

I recently traded for a 629-1, manf date early 1988.

I do not feel as smart today as I did, Lets say a week ago when I was getting a great deal.

Prior to purchase I did the basic tests including finger pressure when turning the cylinder, both SA and DA. It all seemed to work correctly. It is in the box with all papers and the flat screwdriver taped to the inside top of the lid. It was fired very, very little.

This is not my first time to the well, I check every gun I buy very closely. I fired it yesterday with 240 gr in 2 brands. The same 2 cylinders end up with the fired cylinder back under the firing pin.

With very heavy finger pressure I can cause the same two cylinders to fail or rotate backwards every time.

I pulled the side plate and cleaned it last night. It worked for 1 or 2 revolutions under finger pressure and started failing again.

I did the paper work research last night and found many references to this problem. One was on this forum prior to my joining. Another referred to a John Taffin article that lays it out.
Smith & Wesson's .44 Magnum

I have a 629-4 that does not have this issue. I wanted a lighter 29 or 629 for back up when hunting. This 629-1 is very accurate and if it was to be used for Whitetail or target shooting only it would be no issue. I do, when finances allow, hunt Elk and bear in the Rockies.

Some folks on this forum have had a faulty 629. These are the people from whom I would really appreciate follow up.

What specifically did you do to have the issue corrected?
Was S&W successful if you had them corrrect it?
Did any of you correct the problem yourself?
What did you do to correct the problem?
If you corrected it what parts did you use?
Some mentioned a shallow notch and or weak push up on the notch lock. If your 629 had this what did you do?
Any failures after correction?
Cost of correction?

Thanks to all who will take the time to respond.

Last edited by model70hunter; 10-17-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spellen