Thread: S&W 317-3
View Single Post

Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

My 62 year old eyes dictated adding a green HiViz to both my 4" x10 617 and 5" x8 63. Actually, the 3" 317K was considered because of it's HiViz sight! I put an orange HiViz on my new 6" 66-6 over seven years ago - before I ever shot it. I bought the 5" h-l 686+ because it came from S&W with an orange HiViz. My 625JM and 627 Pro got orange HiViz sights, too - even if they can be changed without tools - in seconds. I like the colorful searchlights. Granted - better bullseye groups can be made with thinner sights - a gold beaded Patridge sight, like the stock sight on the 625JM, is a better bullseye sight. For M.O.P. ('Minute Of Plinker') shooting - especially steel plates, the HiViz is fine - and a fast acquisition. Everyone is different, of course.

Another problem with the 317K - it's a Airweight J-frame - and has a stout hammer spring - weighs nothing. I changed my 63's hammer spring for the stiffest of the trio I got in a J-frame kit from Wolff. I also changed the rebound spring - the combination really helped the DA pull, while rebound slide, etc, cleaning & polishing - not on engagement surfaces - made it smoother. With that super lite weight 3" 317 - and it's stock trigger, little wonder your accuracy isn't great. I'll bet the trigger is a larger part of your grouping problems than HiViz sight - just a guess. Think it through - and try more ammo downrange - before you take a bath and sell the 317K!

Stainz