View Single Post

Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,784 Times in 474 Posts

Well, I think we have determined that the reason there is no published load for Trail Boss in .38 S&W is that it just doesn't have the case capacity to work. Here's the results of my Bullseye load, 2.2 grains under a .358 diameter 158 grain lead round nose, published velocity 625 FPS. Shot in an Australian Victory Model and a Colt Police Positive. The Colt comes out the winner as it's sights are well regulated for this load, point of impact, point of aim. The Victory Models sights are regulated for a heavier bullet, 178 or 200 grain, so you have to aim high to get hits in the black.

Colt Police Positive at 15 yards, center hold:

Australian Victory Model, 15 yards, "2 o'clock" hold:

This should work out well for my 13 year old shooting buddy, the son of a good friend of mine. He has mastered a Ruger .22/45, we introduced him to center fire revolver shooting with a Model 10 shooting .38 Special at 700 FPS, but he showed signs of fatigue after 30 rounds or so. Also, the Model 10 was a little big for his hands, the Colt Police Positive should be perfect for him, the frame size is about the same as a "J" frame Smith. This load has little recoil, so it should be a good stepping stone for him to shoot some stouter stuff as he gets older...