View Single Post

Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts

I was not implying that it could not be done. However, I have seen such poor shooting from guys with, take your pick .300, 30'06, .338 on game down to whitetail, take shots from too far away, poor angles, no idea of where vitals are, that I am hesitant to say the 6.5x55 is appropriate under all conditions for moose and elk sized game, there just is not enough margin for error with the round.

I have killed black bear with the round, an extremely tough animal for which I have the greatest respect. I love the 6.5, but I understand it's limitations and strengths. I don't know the qualities of the original poster or anyone else, so I cannot make a blanket endorsement for the cartridge. I will say if I were limited to only one rifle, it is on the very short list of my favorites (along with the 7x57), so I am not trying to knock it.

And yes WDM Bell killed elephant with the 6.5x54MS (he killed more with his .318WR though, not that it is a big bore), but it is far from the ideal elephant rifle. Bell was one of those wonders who could consistently hit exactly the kill spot every time, there is even a story that he shot birds flying high above Vic Falls from a camp at the base of the falls with his .318, a feat I'm sure none of us could replicate. He didn't need anymore rifle because his shooting skill was so high, he needed no margin. And I know several local hunters who only hunt whitetail with a .22, they bag their deer every year, but is the .22 an appropriate caliber for deer?

I just want to urge caution, for the sake of hunting humanely. No, I still don't think the 6.5 is the ultimate caliber for elk and above, but if that is what you are going to use, for God's sake use the heaviest weight, toughest bullets available, and get close.