Thread: 686 Groupings
View Single Post

Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
au contraire....If one uses the same powder, it takes more powder to drive a lighter bullet, than a heavier bullet, to the same velocity.

My 6'' 686 is one of the most accurate handguns I own. It groups within a postcard @ 50 yards off a rest. If you're shooting off bags, I suggest you try resting your hands on the bags or using a solid pistol rest.
Them are not good groups from 25'. They are actually bad IMO. My 4' 586 will shoot a 2" group at 25 yards all day with .38's from a firm snadbagged rest with my hands touching the bags and elbows and forearms rested on the bench. Lots of really good tips to apply to your next session have been covered. May I also recommend quality DOUBLE ear protection and some hand/forearm strengthening exercises to get a good grip without shaking. I squeeze a tennis ball and some grips at work daily. Helps me immensely with controlling hard recoiling revolvers. Make sure the barrel is completely clean and lubed.

I'd start with the basics and shoot nothing but light recoiling .38's then move up to the magnums once you're shooting well with the light loads. SQEEZE the trigger and let the shots surprise you, every time. SAFELY dry firing with snap caps will also give you a better feel for trigger control.

JMO and don't get frustrated. It'll come to you and best of luck.

Another tip. Do Not consume ANY caffeine or nicotine before your next session.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 10-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.