View Single Post

Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAVMECH View Post
UCLALaw,
I'm hoping someone, who has actually done this, will chime in.
Rgds,
XAVMECH
I put a 645 hammer into a 4516 and wouldn't change it back, but that doesn't make me an expert. Generally all you need to do is use the correct length strut which can be removed from the 3913TSW's existing hammer. The hammers are not different for different size guns or different calibers but older forged hammers and triggers may be slightly different than the 3913TSW's MIM parts. I think they will interchange but that's a question for the gunsmithing forum. You can get parts numbers from the parts lists on S&W's website or call them.

The desire for a hammer spur is not just an emotional need. A hammer spur makes a carefully aimed SA first shot faster and cocking for one safer. They are usually left off because employers do not trust their employees with cocked guns. I notice that hammer spurs' supposed obstruction to drawing is a very selectively made claim. The same people who make that claim about DA autos have no problem with the hammer spurs on their SA autos.

It's customary on this forum to type JMHO about now, but really, who else is typing?

Best Regards,
Gil

Last edited by k22fan; 10-31-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling