Thread: 686 Groupings
View Single Post

Old 11-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that the shooter's control of a gun is by far the most important variable in determining accuracy. Yes, there are some handguns out there that are inherently inaccurate due either to a design flaw or a production problem. But, for the most part, even the cheapest handguns are more accurate than is the person who shoots them.

We all have our individual quirks and problems when we shoot. I shoot some of my handguns consistently more accurately than I do others. I tend to shoot my 4" Model 27 to the left of my perceived point of aim. My groups are quite small, but always to the left. I don't know why I do that, I'm presently experimenting with changing the grips on the gun to see if that makes a difference. All I know is that I have a consistent, irritating problem when I shoot that gun. That problem disappears when I shoot my 28, which is essentially an identical gun. With my 28, everything hits right at point of aim and the gun makes me look good.

I'm absolutely convinced that there's nothing wrong with my 27 and that I'm the problem. It could be that I don't pick up the red ramp front sight as well on the 27 as I pick up the black sight on the 28. Or, that the wooden target grips on the 27 don't fit my hands quite so well as the Pachmayr Grippers on the 28 (as I've said, I'm replacing those target grips as an experiment).

So, when someone posts to complain that his or her gun isn't shooting well for him, my instant reaction is to wonder whether the problem may be more with the shooter than the gun.

A few ideas. Try shooting the gun without a rest. As others have pointed out, shooting by resting the gun on sandbags may actually create more problems than it solves. Try having 2 or 3 experienced shooters fire the gun. My guess is that some will shoot it far more accurately than will others. I'd also practice dry firing in both single and double action. Here's a good trick to test how smoothly you pull the trigger. Lay a dime flat on the top of the gun's barrel just behind the front sight. Now, try to pull the trigger six times in succession without the dime falling off. If you can do it, you know you're holding the gun steady.