View Single Post

Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 AM
US Veteran

Liked 17,130 Times in 5,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
It's called a slide stop. Close the slide by pulling it all the way to the rear and releasing. Won't close if there's an empty magazine in there, nor should it.

Using the slide stop as a slide release is a fine motor skill that will betray you in crisis.

But it sounds like you guys are trying to administratively close with an empty magazine in the pistol anyway, hardly a critical task. Close the slide. Insert the empty magazine.

-- Chuck
Well said Chuck.

The problem is, most folks don't train for those crisis situations.

I supervised an indoor range on weekends for a few years. I could never get the employees to take such things seriously. So I devised an easy test to make them realize just how difficult things could be under stress.

I had them unload their gun and put it on the bench with the slide locked back and a full magazine next to it. I then sent a B27 or similar target out to 15 yards.

I instructed them to load and get as many WELL placed shots as possible while I bought the target back to them at full speed.

Over 75% of them missed the slide lock on the first try. Some got it on the second try and some released the slide by pulling it back. By that time the target was already at 7 yards or closer forcing them to shoot wildly and rapidly. Very few hits were accurate enough to count.

Hardly scientific, but it worked.