View Single Post

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked 3,385 Times in 1,107 Posts

Agree with most of what you're saying but wholly disagree with the concept that the "larger the holster" the more comfortable and concealable it is.

I see some holsters that must have cost a whole cow/horse its life. Makes little sense to me. In fact, the most concealable, by far, holster I have ever worn is the Remora. (It's even endorsed by PETA. ) It's minimalist. Even my other IWB's work just fine and are quite comfortable w/o such added "extravagances" as multiple snaps, sweat guards, "wings," and other, IMHO, unnecessary add-ons. (Yes, I do sweat!) Give me a simple Galco or Active Pro Gear with a j-hook, and I am good to go.

Be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalSecurity View Post
I have always preffered 3 oclock carry with a 15 - 20 degree forward cant on the holster. Either IWB or OWB. This lets the grip hide with the side of your body with a loose shirt. When going IWB, the loose shirt isn't really needed. If you carry a compact or sub compact, it disappears.

Of course this is all with a good holster. A bad holster will make you think you need a micro compact gun. I have no problem hiding a fullsize M&P, Glock, or occasionally a 1911 or Beretta 92 at all times of the year in my holsters or other high quality holsters. You just need to understand what makes a good holster good. Oddly, this often translates to the larger the holster the more comfortable and concealable it is. But thats a whole other discussion.... PM me for more info.

Ankle carry for the primary gun is useless in the event of a confrontation for the most part. Cross draw also has its limitations and can be potentially dangerous (a reason they are excluded from competition) and slow. The logistics are simple. The more the gun moves, the slower it is to the target. In fact, my preferred 15 degree cant is slightly slower than a straight drop (were talking hundreths of a second usually though).

The new thing is appendix carry. There are a lot of pro's to this style, but it has some cons like any other carry method. The pro's are great speed, accessable in a car, easily concealed, and not easily prevented by an attacker. The cons are it can be uncomfortable if not in tip-top shape, can be awkward at first, and can be VERY dangerous if you aren't careful when reholstering and drawing. The gun just happens to point in a very bad spot.... so make sure you have PERFECT trigger finger discipline before trying appendix carry.

Steve
The Following User Likes This Post: