View Single Post

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Thumbs up No experience with a 1050!

Maybe when I get independently wealthy I'll be able to afford a 1050!
Until then, I will have to trust someone else's opinion about them. Priming on the up stroke, hummmm. Gotta think about that one.

The SDB does need something at station one. I have had my wife there on more than one occasion! She was my automatic case feeder when I first got them. She worked pretty good to until I pinched her finger a time or two!

I think an automated case feeder could be simply made. Load some tubes, much like the Lee presses or use a modified primer like system. I saw a guy on youtube that had something like that for his Star Luber/Sizer. He made it himself, I think. Add a pneumatic cylinder and the case would be held in place during the up stroke and released on the way down allowing the press to index.

The short rifle cases are an interesting thought. I have a tool and die maker that I could ask to make some mock ones up for the 223. Going to take some measurements in the morning.

Although I have never used a RL550, I have absolutely NO desire for one. I know lots and lots of folks use them and I say, more power to them. It isn't that they don't work. They work just like they are designed and they do it well.

It's just the thought of having a press that costs as much as an RL550 and not having an auto index function. I just really see that as an unneeded distraction while trying to reload. I have known folks that have forgotten to index their RL550 and had double charges in some of their loads. They didn't find it until they fired them. Thankfully, the firearms were strong enough to handle it as they were really light target loads to start with.

Like I said above, I have no problem that others like the RL550. If everyone was the same, they would only sell one kind of press! How boring!

Thanks for you comments, Jessie. I know they come from experience. I think you are the one that told me that they got an honest 1200 rounds per hour off of a 1050. That seems almost impossible to me.

While the little woman and I could really crank out the rounds on the SDB, we never got even close to that fantastic rate!