View Single Post

Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Agree with most of what you're saying but wholly disagree with the concept that the "larger the holster" the more comfortable and concealable it is.

I see some holsters that must have cost a whole cow/horse its life. Makes little sense to me. In fact, the most concealable, by far, holster I have ever worn is the Remora. (It's even endorsed by PETA. ) It's minimalist. Even my other IWB's work just fine and are quite comfortable w/o such added "extravagances" as multiple snaps, sweat guards, "wings," and other, IMHO, unnecessary add-ons. (Yes, I do sweat!) Give me a simple Galco or Active Pro Gear with a j-hook, and I am good to go.

Be safe.
The problem with the minimalist style is it doesn't blanket the gun. As an example, put your shoe on the ground to "hide" it. Put a dishtowel over the gun and spread it out. You will see the shoe index under the dishtowel. Now try grabbing a bath towel and stretch it out. It begins to index less. Grab a blanket and stretch that over it and you hardly notice the bump.

With holsters, we hit a point where "enough is enough". A good holster should make the gun look like it is part of the waistline. There shouldn't be a "bump", just an added inch to the torso.

The other advantage of bigger holsters, and adding things like wings when carrying IWB, is that the load weight is distributed more on the belt. If there is a single belt clip, the entire weight of the gun is concentrated on that single spot. If you have 2 clips spaced a good amount apart, the load weight is distributed across the entire area. This becomes very important when fullsize high capacity autoloaders are carried.

Many people may find a fullsize 1911, G17, or M&P9 to be hard to conceal. With the proper holster, these guns can easily disappear and be comfortable to carry. I carry a fullsize high capacity gun everyday without issue. Even summer can be concealable and comfortable with big guns.

Not trying to start an arguement, but I think it will be hard to find experienced people to agree that a smaller holster is more comfortable and more concealable. Of course a holster can be too big, but finding the right size often means people new to guns and carry will think it is too big of a holster. A common mistake is to pick the smallest holster. Then when the gun doesn't hide, people start buying smaller guns. Often, a good holster will make almost any size gun disappear comfortably.

But to each their own...

Steve

The Following 3 Users Like Post: