View Single Post

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

A decade or so ago I had a Hornady Pro-Jector. It was a good press, but the primer feed and changeover from large/small was somewhat of a pain as well as dies changes.

Everyone said 'get a Dillon' so I tried a few that belonged to friends. I didn't see any particular inprovements over the ProJector in those areas so I held off. When the Hornady L-N-L AP came out, the later ones that had the plastic primer part replaced that kept breaking, that seemed to be the ticket. Never looked back and have 2 of them now.

The Dillon 650 looks comparable, but it is still very time consuming for primer and caliber changeover compared to the L-N-L AP. That is an area that swayed me away from them and an area that needs to be fixed. Dillon makes a good quality, durable press, and backs it up, but they seem just a bit old-fashioned, and not in a good way, compared to what has entered the market lately. Make a more efficient primer feed/changeover system, or even better a universal system, and some means to change the dies easier and they are competitive again.

As far as the SDB goes, it was a good press in it's day, but I can't see where it has any advantage over the Lee Classic Turret today. Especially since the latter handles rifle cartridges easily and it can be both bought and operated more inexpensively.

Last edited by VAdoublegunner; 11-05-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling/syntax