View Single Post

Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Ultimate Bodyguard 380 Laser Button Fix.

This may belong in the smithing the smith subject, however I don't really consider this smithing... I posted this fix previously elsewhere that they were having problems with the buttons. I don't know if anyone else has come up with this solution already here, or posted it at any rate. I didn't see a similar fix. Read below to find out how I finally fixed the buttons...

Okay, so like everyone else, I too found the laser buttons impossibly hard to activate... I looked at all sorts of fixes elsewhere on the net and here, and none of them seem to really accomplish the goals of easing the activation, and making it a little harder to accidentally remove the buttons at the same time. I used a small tube from the middle section of a cheap q-tip, cut a small section out, and placed it around the nipple of my button. Let me explain in detail.

First, remove the buttons. Easy to do by just pinching and puling them. They come out way too easy in my opinion.

Next, find a q-tip that has the plastic tubular center section. Another type of small tube may work, I just happen to discover that these are the exact size.

Third, clip a small section of this tube. This is the trial and error portion. Too long and the button won't go back in, or the laser will be too easy to activate, etc. Too short, and you will not accomplish anything. I discovered, at least on my gun, that the same length as the nipple seemed to work really well. In the next step, you will use a lighter to round or soften the ends of the tube so allow for that when you cut the length of tube.

Next, hold the tiny piece of tube with tweezers or something so you don't burn yourself. Take a lighter, and just barely touch the end of the tube with the flame. About 1/10th of a second is all it will take. The tube will curl slightly back on itself. This is what we want. This will help the tube seat in the rubber button, and will soften it for the foil switch on the laser unit. Do this to both ends of the tube.

Now, take the small tube and place it around the center nipple of the switch in the void area. If it is in right, it should just barely protrude from the void, and stick out about the same amount as the central nipple.

Next, reinstall the buttons. It will now take a little more effort to get them in the gun. I suggest using a small very dull implement to help you seat the o-ring portion. You can, however, put them back in with just your fingers and a little twist, it just takes a little more effort. If you want to make sure it is completely seating, remove the laser from the frame. Instructions for this are in the owner's manual.

You should find that the effort required to activate the laser is now significantly reduced. I played with mine for about an hour before I found the right length to give me the best of both worlds, you should expect to do the same if you want it to be perfect. I now have laser buttons that do not activate in my pocket or holster, however I can easily activate the laser with either my trigger finger or support thumb mid draw, and it is light and intuitive. I discovered that the laser buttons are seated more firmly as well as the void is filled around the nipple. Bonus discovery!

I take no responsibility for damage you may do to your gun or buttons if you do this yourself. Good luck, happy shooting.

Feel free to pass this one on, just give me credit please as I am also approaching S&W about a similar fix, however permanently installed in the button. I haven't seen any other variations of this, or found anything that I think works better. If you have something though, let me know. Always looking for that better mousetrap.

I will post pictures with this when I get back to my home computer.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: