View Single Post

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would agree with the OP about the 650 priming setup, it leaves a lot to be desired.

The SDB had a superior priming setup; I only had large pistol primer guns when I had a SDB, so I never had to change the priming to small, but it's a nuisance on the 650, even with a complete small/large assembly to swap out. Without a spare assembly, it's a complete headache.

I also think the case "locater" spring/lever on the priming assembly is fairly lame as well; I keep mine so that it bascially presses the case into Station 2 -- the manual says not to do this, but I find it feeds and primes fine and it eliminates a lot of adjustment. I ultimately had to add a couple of washers as the "adjustment" seems too small and the screw that holds the arm tends to work out.

And while we're complaining, the spent primer cup on a 650 catches, what, maybe 66% of the spent primers? The rest being evenly sprayed on the bench and the floor.

The one other thing I liked on the SDB was that I don't remember the dies using lock rings, they used the delrin layer in the toolhead to hold the dies in place. This made for easier "fitting" adjustments than dies using lock rings that take wrenches and more futzing to get set. I wish *all* the dies needing adjustment could be adjusted like the Redding Competition Seating Die. It's all I use anymore for seating.

All this being said, the 650 with casefeed is a fabulous machine. You can knock out a case of ammo real quick.