View Single Post

Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodell View Post
It seems the most popular 650 mods from my research:

(1) Cut the detent spring 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns - smooths out the shell plate rotation.
(2) Add a thrust washer and bearing combination under the shell plate bolt - smooths it out even more.
(3) Modify the used primer catcher with tape or a hose/bottle
(4) Add a knob or micrometer to the powder measure adjustment
(5) Clamp the toolhead with machine screws instead of pins

Some people also adapt other powder measures - I haven't seen the need.
I've done the micrometer powder adjustment mod. At a bare minimum it saves a ton of headache when dialing in a powder adjustment. I bought mine from Uniquetek (great people!) and they have an Excel spreadsheet you can use to model the powder charges and get an exact charge with a micrometer setting.

I haven't done this part, but just knowing I'm making a specific, small adjustment beats the guesswork of the stock Dillon bolt. I'm surprised Dillon hasn't made this an upgrade option.

Uniquetek also sell the screw-down-your-toolhead option. I guess I haven't found the need for that level of precision. The .223 I've loaded appears to be as accurate or moreso than I am.

I've only occasionally been interested in the smoother-rotating-shellplate option, usually when loading small cases pretty full (9mm). For other case/powder combos (say, .44 Magnum) it doesn't seem to bother me.

Quote:
I don't care for the primer system, but, after changing it over the only real PITA is getting the primer punch out. It is just awkward. The instructions for changing the primer size make it sound much worse than it is, in my opinion.
I'd like to see it redesigned to:

1) Be simpler and more modular to swap primer sizes. Once piece in, one piece out. I don't want to dissassemble a subassembly and change one part.

2) No empty feeds. If a primer doesn't get seated, don't spit it out.