View Single Post

Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Having a law degree apparently enables one to take a simple situation and complicate to the point that wrong becomes right.
It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

My guess is they can't legally keep it. Its "registered" to you, if only in the sense (and they don't know) that you filled out an ATF form when you bought it. And you paid for it.

I'm thinking they do have custody of it, and you might have a minor fight on your hands to get it back, but push comes to shove, they have no legal right to keep it, defective or not. So if they have it, and you want it back, write them a letter demanding your gun back.

Its a public relations nightmare for them to attempt to retain it against your wishes. Or to in any way deface it or render it even less safe than it might be now. My guess is like all negotiations, the first offer from them isn't going to be the best one. Be a jerk if you must, but you can demand the gun back. Them refusing to return it to you is basically theft. They really don't want you calling the BATFE and claiming they've stolen your gun. Its bad juju.