View Single Post

Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

..carefull what you send away I guess..

Gun companys have been taking their bad/dangerous designs and known under spec parts & guns off the market for a long time.

Winchester began trying to remove their Model 11 shotguns from the world in the '20s by issuing an even swap proposition.
Bring the WidowMaker into an authorized Winchester dealer and you'd receive a brand new (IIRC) Winchester M12 in return.
At the same time Winchester decided to refuse repairs on the M11. Any sent into NewHaven were to be kept and a replacement gun returned to the owner.

Ruger still converts any 3-screw S/A revolver that enters their repair facilitys to a transfer bar system,,wether you wanted them to or not.
You don't get the old parts back anymore either.

You can argure,,and plenty of people have I'm sure,,that the conversion isn't something that you asked for and that the original parts that were in the revolver rightfully belong to the person that sent it to Ruger.
But the practice continues and will so long as personal injury lawsuits continue to rubber stamp stupid behavior with large checks.

As long as a replacement is offered or given, or restitution made, the practice seems to have some grounding as it continues to go on.

'Keeping the public safe by removing unsafe items from the market place' has a good track record in corporate America both for PR and keeping a company alive.
They have to satisfy share holders who are usually not interested in the product,,just the profit line.

To do otherwise is usually a very bad move for any manufacturing enterprise these days.

Just my .02