View Single Post

Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

[QUOTE=DCWilson;
Clearly there were rebated frames available for RP stocks on the improved I-frames, both .32 and .38 caliber. So there was a short period (no more than a couple of years) in which the square butt RPs were not available, and then with the introduction of the improved I-frame (1953), the square butt on a rebated frame made its return. (Or maybe the rebated frames came back a little before the introduction of the coil-spring frame, in which case the round butt versions are an interesting scarce variant.)[/QUOTE]

Hi David,
I own and am aware of sq butt rebated frames on UNimproved I frames (leaf mainspring with strain screw) that are early post war. I have not observed any rebated frames on 1st improvement I frames (coil mainspring). It sounds like you have. Do you have any photos of them?

Also, I agree that there appears to be a period between early post war production and the 2nd improvement (model 1953) I frames, when no sq butt frames were available. However when sq butts were re-introduced with the Mod of 1953, it was no longer a rebated round butt frame, but rather a completely new frame forging with square shaped grip frame.

The exception of course, and only one I know of, being the 1957 32 Reg Police Target. However they are UNimproved I frames left over from pre war with small trigger guard, flat main spring, etc.
S&WCA #819