View Single Post

Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

SW357Addict,

Thank-you for quoting a reliable source. What you posted matches my memory from the early 90s but I did not keep what ever the source was. As I recall S&W fired a 5 shot group with 240 gr. Fed. JHP at 50 yd. using a machine rest.

Those whose 629 Classics are not marked "DX" need only reflect on the limitations of judgeing accuracy based on a single 5 shot group out of 6 shot cylinders. Theoretically, if all the 629 Classics would shoot five five shot groups identical in size to the groups fired by the other Classics but in random order, 20% of the Classics would shoot their best of five first and be falsely judged more accurate. Additionally, identical looking guns often produce their best accuracy with different loads, so the DX marked guns may have just been lucky to have been tested with a load they shot exceptionally well with. Then there are possible variations in the untested charge hole.

It would be great to hear from a S&W employee who selected the DXs.

Incidentally, I also have an undocumentable memory of S&W advertising that their then new pre-WWII k22 Outdoorsmen revolvers met the same 1 1/2" 50 yd. group test. Perhaps a source for that memory can be found in the 1996-1961 Forum.

Best Regards,
Gil

Last edited by k22fan; 11-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.