View Single Post

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

alaskavett. I never made it anywhere near the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club. Didn't even take much advantage of the hunting and fishing on post. Both because I was living in the barracks with the resulting restrictions on firearms storage and, as mentioned earlier, I was young and dumb. You are thinking Clark Brothers Guns at Warrenton. I still have the 2 guns I bought there. A .455 New Service converted to .45 Colt and a Krag. The New Service had cylinder problems and got a new Christy Gun Works( San Francisco) cylinder installed by Archie Mayer at Mayco. Archie and his partner Ed Bright, both retired Marines,are gone now. I didn't get to do any competitive shooting until, after having gotten out with 8 years service and attending the Colorado School of Trades, I enlisted in the Army National Guard . The Guard let me shoot, at least until I got commissioned, whereupon there was always something to interfere with team practices and matches. Electronics Support at Quantico wouldn't even let me go try out for the team. I believe the exact wording of the refusal was "(insert appropriate profanity) you McCann.We need you here.You're not going out to the range to (profanity) off.".I appreciate the thank you and extend it also to you. I never heard that until one of the VA doctors said it well after my retirement.