View Single Post

Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I recently traded into a pretty early 4th Change... a brown (formerly blue) 6" with OK original style (no SN visible) walnut, no medallion diamond grips. I assume it is pretty early because the SN (matching all over gun) is 758XX. I assume further that I have the pre-heat treated cylinder, hence my first question. Is this a safe revolver to use with FACTORY pistol ammo? I will be reloading very mild loads based on Unique and the classic 3118 Ideal bullet as brass accumulates.

Another line of questions; in view of the rather sad cosmetic state of the gun currently, is refinishing or perhaps even customizing a reasonable plan for this piece? If I DO go about rebuilding it, can I use standard K-frame parts from a similar vintage .38 such as a Victory? Also, could I rebore a pre-war .22 cylinder (if I can find one) for a .32 long S&W? I'm thinking WonderSights for my sight upgrade and then grips based on whatever finish I finally settle upon. What think ye??

TIA ~ Froggie
I would not worry about standard factory loads, just beware that some older ammunition was marked for rifle use only. Don't use that!

Depends on how much money you want to put into it. By the time you get done, you may have spent close to or as much as buying a target sighted gun in average to decent condition. Nothing wrong with refinishing a gun with little or no original finish left. But if you do, have it done properly; not the local guy. Standard K frame parts of same vintage will interchange.

Reboring should be fine but K frame 22's were introduced late and probably hard to find, but a post war cylinder would probably work. Can't think of any reason it wouldn't off hand, but don't know for sure. Try to compare your cyl with a post war K22. Look for both, 22 and 32.

Wonder sights leave me cold. Can you even find one? If you go to the trouble to reblue and refurbish, why not have S&W target sights installed?

Hope that helps,
S&WCA #819