View Single Post

Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Liked 6,553 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
Israel profiles, and has the best system going and yet is the most targeted.
Well, Merril's right about this, IMHO. The Israelis, not having the same tech addiction we do, and many fewer people and a lot less money, have put the emphasis where it needs to be: targeted screenings, armed pilots, and a a definition of due process that includes two to the chest and one to the head. We, on the other hand, throw a ton of money and technology at the problem, invent a whole new bureaucracy to deal with it, and still can't seem to get it quite right.

I give the TSA people hell every time they overstep -- such as confiscating a jar of homemade hot chili sauce from China because, according to them, "it's a liquid, a gel, or an aerosol," which it plainly was not. When I corrected the officer noting that technically, a jar of homemade hot chili sauce is actually a colloidal suspension, I was threatened with arrest. It seems that it is now a Federal crime to attempt to educate TSA officers about physical chemistry.

It's all about getting people used to following orders, rational or not. "Just shut up and do what we tell you" doesn't cut it with me.

I urge everyone to write their Senators and Representative every time you feel violated by these Stoßtruppen-wannabees. When the heat gets hot enough, there will be changes.

The amazing thing to me is this: I travel often to China. They have great airport security there, as one might expect of a Communist dictatorship. But, they manage to do it efficiently and politely. Every time. They are deferent. They worry about giving offense. They are solicitous. And they would never be so mind-numbingly stupid as to confiscate a jar of homemade hot chili sauce because "it's a liquid, a gel, or an aerosol."

Bullseye, who, as a result of this post, is expecting a full body cavity search on the occasion of his next flight overseas.

P.S.: My hat is off to the passenger who recently told a TSA Stoßtrupper, "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested."

P.P.S.: Thanks for the video, DG.

Last edited by Bullseye 2620; 11-17-2010 at 07:40 PM.