View Single Post

Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Lightbulb Not too sure about the 29 -2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewc75 View Post
In my Nosler book the loads for pistol and rifle are very close but in my Hornady book there is quite a spread

I am hoping to load some 240g HP/XTP that I can use in my 29-2 and my 44mag rifle

any help out there?
There were quite a few performance enhancements that have come out since the -2. Limiting your load so you don't wear it out may not give you the best results in a rifle.

I have two loads with the bullet you mention. Cranking it up to rifle velocity makes it perform much better.

All of that being said, I have two loads too. I have a lead bullet load that I use exclusively in my M629 Classic with a 5" barrel, maximum load of H110/W296 under an H&G #503 copy sized to .432". For the rifle, I have been using the 240gr XTP with a maximum charge of Lil' Gun and getting 1850fps from the longer tube.

The only reason I keep the Lil' Gun out of the revolver is because of the findings of both some on this forum and the folks at Freedom Arms.

I have shot the 240gr XTP from the handgun too, only with a maximum load of H110/W296. All of the data I am quoting is from the Hodgdon data site.

One thing to be sure to do, use a firm crimp. The bullet will jump if there isn't enough case tension or you use Remington brass and the tubular magazine of most lever guns mandate using one too.

I have shot a lot of bullets from the rifle. Winchester, Remington, bulk 240gr JSPHP, the FTX and the XTP. None have been as accurate as the XTP from my rifle. 2" groups at 100 yards is the best I have ever done though. 1" @ 50.

Hope this helps. This is a fun combination to play with, that's for sure. I am working up some 45Colt loads of the same type. High velocity rifle loads with corresponding revolver loads.

I just may have to buy the wife another hunting trip this year!