View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 AM

Liked 520 Times in 264 Posts
Wink The definitive single barreled shotgun thread!

I am but a simple man.

I realized quite some time ago don't need some new fangled whiz-bang belled and whistled tactical doomaflatchy to get the job done.

I don't have to have the latest and greatest to keep up with my friend down the street, nor do I allow myself to be swayed by trends or peer pressure.

I must admit I like single barreled shotguns, as they are what I grew up on.

There is something to be said about the feller that carries and uses one proficiently. No, that doesn't mean he can shoot it fast, although it can be done...it means making each shot count.

America does, or did have a love affair with them for so very long. To many a boy and man, from the latter half of the 19th century to the mid part of the 20th, the single shot .22 rifle and single barreled shotgun were the mainstay of the nation. How many doughboys were taught to shoot at an early age with these? How many people protected their life, livestock and property with them? How many brought home dinner during the depression with these things?

These pieces which have sustained families for so long are often maligned, forgotten, mistreated and taken for granted for the important piece of Americana they were and still are. Sure, they will never have the status of a Model 12, Remington 1100 or a Benelli, but can it take meat and be just as functional? Certainly, if you don’t mind being aggravated a bit by the fellers with the pumps and autos.

I’ve gone dove shooting with some friends that have some whiz-bang autos, and have been aggravated only once- likely because I brought home more doves, with less shells expended.

Freely admitting that it, in ways is hard to get excited about a single barreled shotgun, I do think many have some character that do set them apart from the rest of the pack.

Ah heck, y'all just want to see some pictures!

1. Forehand and Wadsworth 12ga
  2. Remington #9 12ga side-cocker
  3. Excel Arms (Stevens) 1929 .410
  4. Stevens 1929 16ga, belonged to my father
  5. Winchester model 20, .410

1. My father's second Stevens 94 16ga
  2. Ithaca 66 .410

That old Stevens 94, was bought when I was a kid at Hag Davenport's old store on US-64 on upper Shooting Creek NC (now old 64) when we were on a trip to Franklin NC for some reason- I do remember it started to snow on the way back and father didn't think we'd make it back across the mountain!

That 94 is the gun that he killed his only deer with- with a slug. He determined that killing a deer is too much darn work, and would stick with squirrels and such. Also, when he was growing up, there were very, very few if any deer in the area so it wasn't something he grew up doing.

Only thing I don't like about it now, is about 10 or so years ago I had it out hunting and the triggerguard broke on it during shooting! That ugly thing was the only thing I could find at the time- I need to find another one closer to original.

The only one I can't find is my Winchester 37 in 16 gauge...that bothers me. I'll find it sooner or later.

I did get back into buying some H&R's some time back too- when they came around for a good deal.
I did have one "card gun" made up locally so I could run with those fellers with the sleeved model 37's, but I didn't have to spend a mint to do it.

Here's a pic of a set of family: 10's (2 of 'em), 12 card gun, 16, 20, 28 and .410. I always picked them up when they were @ $50 or so.

Now, I'm done playing for the week- I've got work to do!

Last edited by Andy Griffith; 11-22-2010 at 10:53 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: