View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,057 Times in 319 Posts

When I was a kid about 11, I wanted to go deer hunting. I walked the road between the house and store (about a mile) until I came up with enough money from coke bottles @ 2 cents each, to pay the $.25 for three 16 ga shot shells (buck shot). Took my grandfathers single barreld shotgun and hit the woods. Some time long before I was born someone stuck it in the mud and fired it. My Grandfather had to cut a few inches off the muzzle so it didnt even have a bead.

I think it was suppose to be an older gun for BP only. It was shot loose before I got a hold of it. Also you had to pry the hulls out with a knife after firing.

I shot my first deer, scared the heck out of me, after shooting it, it would go down, then back up and still coming toward me. Took all three shells. I thought it was coming after me. After it was down and the fear wore off I was proud as punch.

My aunt had position of the gun and I wanted it. She said she needed it for protection (though I don't think she had any shells) Any way, years later I bought a RG 38 snubby, sat. night special, and convinced her it would be better for protection, and traded.

I still got the gun, some 50+ years later, though I don't think its safe to shoot. I have now idea who made it, it does have some checkering but pretty worn down. Not worth anything to anyone else, but It was my grandfathers and I killed my first deer, so I'll keep it, hoping one of my kids or grandkids will understand and give it a good home when I'm gone.

The Following 3 Users Like Post: