View Single Post

Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I've worked on a number of killings with .22 LR ammo, and a number of shootings that did not result in deaths. Immediate stops are possible, and are attributable to the same things that work with other calibers: shot placement and adequate penetration.

Adequate penetration is a real issue with .22 LRs. I'd go with hi-speed 40-grainers. Chrono a mess through YOUR gun and see what comes out fastest.

Going with lighter weight or hollowpoint bullets seems like an invitation to have even more problems with penetration than a .22 LR has inherent to its slow (particularly out of a handgun), light bullets.

FWIW, I'd use CCI Velocitors - they consistently chrono the fastest average (tho with high deviations) of .22 LRs from handguns for me, and they're 40-grain solids.
Thank you for your posts. Very informative. I agree with the CCI Velocitors. When you've ran the AR platform with .22 convo kits as much as I have (or the SW15-22), you can see the strengths and weaknesses of certain .22 ammo. CCI Vel. and MiniMags are the ticket in my book. But that's apples and oranges. Or ARs and Handguns if you will...

Steve