View Single Post

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
One of the biggest problems here in NY was someone starting some stupid rumor that if you put down on your permit application that you wanted the gun for personal protection the judge may not grant your permit. There is a question of what you want the permit for on the form, always, always, list that you want it for target practice, competitive shooting, AND PERSONAL PROTECTION !!! Otherwise, the judge can place restrictions on the permit if you just write down tatget practice. Not to mention setting yourself up for mucho problems if you have to cap someone in self defense. Shoo
I don't live in NYS anymore but I still visit occasionally and have friends and family there, many of whom are permit holders. I must respectfully disagree with what you're saying. It has long been understood that in some counties personal protection is disfavored as grounds for applying. A friend of mine who lives up toward Watertown recently got his permit and the restrictions were imposed. He mentioned self-defense during his interview and the judge told him "that's what the police are for."

I also disagree with your claim that a person somehow loses the right to self-defense by stating that they want a handgun for target practice. What you put on your application is not the controlling law in such a situation. The NY Penal Law is.