View Single Post

Old 11-26-2010, 02:09 AM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

My cousin-in-law, the late gunwriter Robert Shimek, often wrote of using the 357 Mag as a deer hunting cartridge in Peterson's and G&A. I still have some of the old back issues, but more importantly shot and hunted with him on occasion. He really liked the 357, mainly because he shot it well. My first deer hunting handgun was a 6.5" SS Blackhawk inspired by his stories of success. I wasn't exactly sure I could handle the terrifying 44 Mag at the time (things change).

At one time he advocated the 125gr JHP driven to max velocity in his 6" Model 27, yet cautioned that it was only to be used at less than 50 yards and for broadside lung/heart shots. Most of his kills were well inside of that distance. In the area hunted near the Allegheny NF the trees were thick and close shots were the norm when stalking on the ground. He took quite a few deer but came to realize that the 125 JHP was not a tough enough bullet if it hit a rib or bone. He turned to using a 140gr bullet, either a JHP or JFP for better penetration and toughness. He favored the lighter bullets because of their higher velocities. Cast bullets weren't in vogue as hunting bullets at the time like now, higher velocity and "shock" being favored, but there is a lot to be said for a good cast bullet at high velocity.

We have better jacketed hunting bullets these days than we did then. The Hornady HP/XTP is an excellent bullet. I would recommend one in the 140 gr range, driven to max velocity. However, no matter what you use, I would definately limit it to less than 50 yards. That was the one steadfast rule he had, and he made the 357 work. I think he would be pleased with the bullet choices today; no doubt the Sierra 140gr JHP, or the Hornady XTP would be favorites. They're what I'd use if I was inclined to use my 8 3/8" Model 27 (but I think I could be convincing that the Ruger Lipsey's 44 Special was better!)