View Single Post

Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Liked 25,616 Times in 8,661 Posts

I never understood why someone would want a 2" or 3" .38 Special J-Frame (very concealable hideout gun) with adjustable sights. To me, a model 36, 37, 60 ,etc. is a self defense "belly gun" that is carried concealed. While I do believe in lots of practice with the weapon one is carrying, I also believe it should be practiced with at the realistic distances it will be used at, which more than likely is less than 10 feet. At 10 feet, what is the point of having an adjustable sight that has a greater chance of getting caught on a piece of clothing, or thrown off from daily carry?

I own many J-Frame 38's and at a distance of 10 feet they are as accurate as one would ever need. Yes, at 50 feet they may shoot 3 or 4 inches off, but who cares? If you are going to go target shooting at 50 feet, then a Model 15, 14, 19, 66, etc is more in order for that task. In fact the ONLY J-Frame revolver I could see with an adjustable sight is the model 63 (.22 LR) with a 4 inch barrel. At least one can use that for squirrel or crow hunting and the adjustable sights would come in handy there.

The reason that S&W did not make a whole lot of these little revolvers with adjustable sights is that there is really no reason or purpose for them, other than being a "curio" or collectible.

There........I've had my rant and I feel better. Hope everybody had a wonderful and joyous Thanksgiving!

Regards,
chief38