View Single Post

Old 11-27-2010, 07:38 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts

20 years ago, my department's qualification included shooting at 25 yards. They made no accomodation for the 2 inch 5 shooters, you had the same time to get off 6, 12 or 18 shots as did the sixshooters. I had no trouble qualifying my Model 60, and later my Model 642, and often shot 100%. The little guns are capable of very good accuracy, their small sights, short sight radius, small grips and light weight can make them difficult without practice.

The benefit of the adustables isn't just to zero the gun with the ammo you are using. They also give a larger, blockier sight picture that is much easier to pick up with speed.

About the only time adjustable sights on a 2 inch J frame would have been a problem for me would have been pants pocket carry, and even then, the hammer spur would be far more likely to catch and snag. Using any kind of belt, shoulder or ankle holster, I can't see the sights being a problem.

If you like them, a very good gunsmith can mill the topstrap of a Cheifs Special for the Kit Gun rear sight. Keep in mind, though, that the new front sight will have to be quite a bit taller, as the sighting plane of the adjustable rear sight is taller.