View Single Post

Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
I'm also not buying that a 686 is capable of a 2 inch group at 100 yards, every test I've ever seen indicates that it's a 2 inch shooter at 25 yards, not 100, and that's from a fixed machine rest.

If the OP wants to take a deer at 100 yards, I would suggest using a rifle or something with more power, like the 460 magnum. To be blunt, the 357 Magnum lacks energy at 100 yards to insure a clean kill unless the hit is just perfect and the 686 isn't accurate enough to get that perfect hit. I would suggest you limit your range to 25 yards where the 686 has both the energy and accuracy to do the job well.
This is actual shooting results: 158gr LSWC, maximum load of WC820 (MILSURP Powder like H110) and clay pigeons at 100 yards, open sights, 15 years ago (that's important!). All of that from two different guns with 6" barrels, a M686 and M586 and two shooters, my 16 year old son(at the time) and a much younger me!

Now, I'm not going to say that we hit a clay pigeon on every shot but I wouldn't have wanted to be one that was counting on a miss either!

With a scope?

Not to mention the folks that shoot PPC with them to 50 yards. They use a B27 target where the 10 ring is around 2" wide. Ever seen some of those scores? The really good folks are shooting 597 out of 600! Granted, they aren't maximum loads of 357Mag but still!

The platform is accurate enough to take a deer at 100 yards. In my opinion though, it is the bare minimum. Perfect shots rarely provide themselves in the real world. It would take a perfect opportunity to make it work. Put it in a carbine though? NO PROBLEMO!