View Single Post

Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,410 Times in 3,290 Posts

Let me begin with #85 from my FAQ.
--------------------------------------
“Sporterizing” old military rifles

85. Cutting down, restocking and otherwise modifying military rifles like the 1903 Springfield, various Mausers, and other similar rifles to make them more useful for sporting purposes was a common practice in the past. When what seemed like an endless supply of these rifles made them available at very low prices reworking one into a hunting rifle seemed like a good idea. At this point these guns have become much less common and are increasingly difficult to find in original condition. Naturally, this situation has driven the prices up on the remaining examples. Given the value of an unaltered military rifle, the availability of good quality commercial rifles at attractive prices, and the loss of history in butchering a fine old military rifle, it really makes no sense to do this any longer to a weapon in good, original condition.

---------------------------------------

Now let me confess that in years past I committed my share of atrocities on military rifles. None of the rifles I currently own were butchered by me. They were already cut up when I got them.

The Following User Likes This Post: