View Single Post

Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Another opinion on powder dispensers

l-2-s,
At the present, electronic powder dispensers are not on my 'gotta have it list' due to some unsatisfactory experience with my soon-to-be discarded Lyman DPS II, (not III).
First, due to the tolerances between the powder rotor tube and its plastic powder reservoir, small-kernel powders such as
Bullseye, 231, and H-110 tend to accumulate there and cause the motor to labor and the rotor tube to become stuck. I think large kernel extruded powders such as the IMR series (except for IMR 4227)may perform better. I have not tried IMR 4350 in my DPS II because my Belding & Mull mechanical measure handles IMR stick powders to my complete satisfaction.
Second, the electronic scale function of my DPS II is a total disappointment. The unit gives a loud squeal after about two cases are charged indicating a loss of 'zero'. This destroyed any confidence in the accuracy of charges thrown.
I have returned to using my three old reliable measures:
My RCBS Little Dandy is used for many handgun loads. My
Hollywood Micrometer is used for big bore handgun and some rifle loads and then there is my B&M for large stick powders. If I did not have my long-out-of-production Hollywood measure I would (like EarlFH stated) get a Redding measure.