View Single Post

Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never duracoated a firearm, but I have duracoated a paintball gun. I degreased it and applied the duracoat right over the anodize (per the recommendation).

After three days of use, the duracoat was peeling off in high-wear areas such as the bottom of the trigger guard. After a season of use, about 25% of the finish has come off.

Prep work is extremely important. Media blasting should be though of as a requirement, along with serious degreasing. You may also want to handle all of the parts with gloves after cleaning.

Also, there are some nasty fumes involved in the duracoating. It won't kill you, but even with good ventelation you want to wait several hours after duracoating before you operate heavy machinery/drive/etc.. A respirator would be highly recommended. I ended up using two fans (one going out a window, the other blowing between my face and the airbrush) and the fumes were still screwing with me.

I've got some pictures of my duracoat experience at Picasa Web Albums - Iram - Duracoating.

If this gun is going to get serious competition/carry use, I'd look for something far more durable.