View Single Post

Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
As much as I like semi wadcutters, for a load for a non-magnum gun to be used as bear defense, I'm thinking I would use roundnose with a small flat point. Penetration is paramount and a roundnose will penetrate better.
That is not necessarily corrrect. Round nose bullets tend to be somewhat unstable in animate targets and will often yaw, which limits penetration adversely. The only way to know is to conduct repeatable testing, such as calibrated gelatin protocols.

The heavy Keith bullets described by several posters will give you excellent penetration along with better defined wound channels (something the round nose doesn't do) and will perform better. A 250-260 .45 SWC at 900 fps or thereabouts will penetrate over 30" of tissue. If you don't think so, try to find anybody who has consistently recovered one from game animals killed with those loads. They generally shoot completely through deer, elk, bears, etc. and are not recovered. Some reading of John Linebaugh's writings will verify this.