View Single Post

Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alde View Post
SMSgt,
Do you mask off the underside of the slide? I plan to remove the safety lever and firing pin but leave the extractor on.
I took great care on the first slide to mask the slide rail tracks and anywhere else I didn't want DC, or thought it might interfere. On the second slide I didn't tape as completely, and where the DC got on the rails, it quickly wore off after reassembling the slide and working the action.

I removed the extractor on both slides I refinished, but the DC isn't thick, and as long as your extractor isn't a close tolerance fit, you'll probably be okay. The only concern I might have is there may be oil/grease that extrudes out upon the slide surface around it.

I wasn't real sure how thick of a coat to apply; you'll probably have a better idea with your experience. I didn't have any issues with the DC causing binding, etc., afterwards.

I sprayed the underside also; it's just more protection and avoids having those tiny areas of unfinished surface showing.

Highly polished areas will need to be scuffed up first. (1200-1500 grit?) I blame the peeling I had on my prep, not the product. The second application worked fine, as did the second slide. I was truly learning as I went. If you're experienced with the airbrush it should work out well. Projects I undertake generally end up looking like I did them. Nuff said. The DuraCoat turned out better than I expected (and hoped).

Of course, normal ventilation precautions should be used.

Last edited by SMSgt; 12-01-2010 at 10:28 AM.