View Single Post

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Liked 950 Times in 427 Posts

I also reside in Oneida County and just acquired my pistol license this summer. Here in Oneida County, we have to take the NRA Pistol saftery course before we can even pick up our application forms for the permit. My permit has hiking, camping, hunting and target restrictions on it. The safety course instructor is a comeptitive shooter and very involved in the NRA, and i think in some sort of leadership postition in the NRA. He is very well informed on NY and particularly Oneida county as far as pistol permits and what is allowed. He informed us that at this time, Oneida county will NOT issue unrestricted permits unless you can prove just cause for it. For example: you are a person who transports large sums of cash frequently, or are a business person who is in possession of large sums of cash. He told us other than that, the judge here will only issue restricted permits. I would mention his name, but I dont have his permission to do so. All i will say is that he teaches the safety course at Gander mountain in New Hartford, I would think you may be able to track him down through that route.

I have heard of being able to petition the judge to lift restrictions after you have had your permit for a while. I may try this in a year or so and see what happens. Cant hurt to try can it???