View Single Post

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

My Gibbs will place all rounds within the 9 ring of any standard target at 200 yards and the majority will be in or break the 10 line. The sights are typical Williams with a a flourescent insert in front. The mag holds three rounds.

This is a really nice, heavy nearly carbine sized rifle and I can attest to its handling hot loads very well. As for recoil it is a matter of technique. Any rifle firing loads this heavy is going to recoil and requires re-thinking stance. A loose, forward-leaning stance is best for off-hand and a nice offset posture for prone works well. One thing is sure - a rigid posture has the potential to hurt you... and that includes most bench-rest positions.

I have taken 5 healthy bucks and a 410 lb. black bear with this rifle and not a single one walked more than a dozen paces. Most simply fall in place. My furthest shot was a measured 203 yards... and he was broadside, stopped and head-down munching.

Getting an Enfield made into a .45-70 is not difficult. Getting magazines is impossible. You need a whiz bang technician to make them for you. I was lucky enough to buy a spare from a guy - for $175. I have made every attempt to keep this rifle as immaculate as possible.

The rifle is not for sale as, unfortunately, I just sold it or, rather, traded it for an Ed Brown Exec Carry.

I am now looking for a Kodiak SxS .45-70!