View Single Post

Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I suggest a six ounce heavier answer - with another round capacity, an inch more barrel, larger hammer & trigger, BIG fc, and real Keith load capability - a 4" 629!

I bought my 696-1 new eight years ago - after watching the price tag ($439) fade for a year. I bought it - and added a new closeout-priced 296 for $349, less than half it's MSRP, plus s/t (5% then). It was to be a CCW. The 696 was to be - and remains to be - pure fun. It's especially fun with my wimpy 240gr LSWC over 3.5 gr Titegroup in a .44 Russian case - makes 692 fps - all day shooter - and makes major power factor! Ahrends square conversion grips are fine - for normal loads. The 'real' .44 Special, the one labelled '629' & '.44 Magnum, is fine with the Ahrends retro targets... plus, they look good! When I need serious .44 Specials, the 4" 629 is the grab. They are always in production... it's been a while since S&W plopped out a 624!

The 296 is a bit larger than my 642, which, in a Mika pocket holster fits all of my britches front pockets. The 296 in it's Mika holster fits ~3 of 4 of my pants front pockets.

I keep the AirWeight Ti stoked with the Speer 200gr Gold Dots loaded in new Starline brass by GA Arms - a better value at the same (or less) price as the Blazers. It's a woods carry, too - with a 240gr LSWC first, despite the 200gr Max caution due to bullet creep. Bit of a hand slapper.

Stainz