View Single Post

Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

When I do pack a K or L frame revolver it always has 158 gr. Speer Gold Dots in it for SD. They don't seem to jump as much in my hand and are dead on accurate in every one of my .357's. It takes practice and strong hands, arms and upper torso with a good stance to keep a .357 under control for accurate and fast follow up shots. If you can't control the magnums go down to a good +P round, but that .357 is a much better man stopper.

I like penetration wth a SD round. An entrance and a larger exit hole from a HP make for more blood loss. A good thing when it comes to ending a bad situation quickly. Read lots of posts bashing overpenetration. Just about any .357 load will penetrate through ones chest and exit out the back on a frontal shot. So will OO buck, rifled slugs and .223 rounds. All which are also used for home and self defense. Better to have that bullet hit the vitals, bone and hopefully the spinal cord than one that expands and does not go deep enough to do it's job. A HP will keep the penetration down and do lots more damage compared to ball ammo or some LSWC's that will zip through multiple bodies and keep on going and going and going. JMO

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 12-04-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: sp