View Single Post

Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshade2x View Post
I have a few loads I use that are similar with varying results. Keep in mind these loads are only shot in .357 frame guns. I don't crono, just go by feel and accuracy.

*I load a 148 hard cast DEWC with 4.9 Gr. current Unique, CCI 500 primer and seat to the top of the crimp groove with a mid taper crimp. This has been a total "powder puff" load, very accurate and virtually no recoil, tiny bit of leading. Very cheap to load. My favorite plinking load now.
I take no liability for these loads...milage may vary.

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x
This is very interesting information on your 148 DEWC Hard Cast Load in 38 special cases.

I am working with some loads using Unique and 38 special cases using the DEWC lead bullets. This is one I just finished this week. I haven't loaded for some time now and this is my first time back at the reloading bench, in a while. So, take it for what you will.

The 148 grain DEWC seats very low in the case. The lower the bullet is seated the more the pressure rises. I was very concerned with pressure when I loaded my 148 DEWC (not hard cast). I settled on 3.5 grains of unique with CCI SP Primers in 38 special cases. This worked very well for me. This is a little hotter than what is advised by some who really know much more than me. The general consensus is to drop this load to about 3.1 Grains of Unique. I may try this next time I load the 148 DEWC in 38 special cases. I shoot the 3.5 Unique loads in a loads in a 4" revolver.

I got some good advice about the DEWC Lead Bullets...Don't shoot them in a rifle. Bad things can happen. I have not tried this and will take others word for it.

Below is from another forum I posted.
Pictures and information of my results.
I am no expert and this is just my experience.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I spent the day at the range today helping some Friends sight in their deer rifles. I took my 38 special reloads with me and shot a few rounds at the end of the day. I must say I am very pleased with the results. I was a little concerned that the loads might be a little hot, so I took my 4" L frame smith cs-1 357 to test the loads, as it is a stronger frame than my K frame Smith. I must say that for Unique it was a little cleaner than I remember. You may not even notice the powder residue on the revolver in the pictures below. There were no signs of pressure and only a very slight recoil to the revolver. A very smooth shooting and accurate little thumper. I may experiment with just a little less powder, but I would be happy to live with it just as is.

Here are pictures of the results. I only shoot standing off handed with my hand guns because I like to keep it real. I don't shoot any better off the bench anyway. Go figure!, I don't know why.
It was a beautiful day in the mid 60's and lots of sunshine in these 61 year old eyes. I am so thankful the pressure in my eyes from Glaucoma is under control. I love shooting hand guns at 15-30 yards, but I kept it at 7 yards today. I tend to think in terms of feet instead of yards at this point in my life.

Powder: Unique 3.5 grains
Primers: CCI small Pistol
Cases 38 Special
Bullet: 148 Grain DEBBWC... this is not hard cast bullets
Bullet seated to the top crimping groove with a light roll crimp