View Single Post

Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
No offense taken.

I'll concede that Elmer probably wasn't right all the time...if you'll concede that neither are Linebaugh, Taffin, and Pearce. Nobody's right all the time.

I'm not sure how much faith I want to put in the data shown in that link when it shows the .25-20 out-penetrating two 220 grain .30-06 loads.
I know that seems strange, but it's all relevent to sectional density, along with bullet design, and velocity.

That could be a typo I suppose.

I would suggest (as I have to several other forum members, some of whom have actually done it) calling John Linebaugh and talking to him about it. He is a true expert on such things, and no one can reasonably question his expertise. He is also a nice guy to talk to, and a boatload of knowlege and info.

You're right that no one is correct all the time, but old EK didn't have access to chrongraphs and pressure equipment some of todays writers have, for the biggest part of his career. If your mind is made up that he is the final word, then nothing I say or type is going to change that, so I won't try to. I will say that I have been shooting and loading a long time, and my own personal experiences with loads, penetration etc., very closely mirror Taffin and Pearce's, and all three of us are fans of Elmer Keith.

Last edited by Gun 4 Fun; 12-04-2010 at 06:26 PM.