View Single Post

Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceva View Post
Buy it for the great Swedish 96 action and as a nicely sporterized rifle, not as a Kimber.
These were produced after Kimber of Oregon closed their doors and when Kimber of America was still in Oregon before their move to Yonkers, New York. Nationwide Sprorts and a gentleman named Edelmen (who also owned Nationwide) had controlling interest in Kimber and were marketing anything they could come up with to cash in on Kimbers name and reputation. They are mostly considered a curiousity and / or an abomination by Kimber collectors
What they are, is a great action with a decent re-barrel and a good Ram-Line stock. I can not remember if the Trigger or bottom metal was changed or not. They are a wonderful rifle in 6x55 and I seem to remember that they were also offered in other calibers, possibly 22-250 although I am not so sure about higher pressure cartridges in a 96 action.

As I said, buy it as a decent sporterized mod 96 and not as a Kimber as I do not think that the Kimber name adds any value to these.

As an aside, Kimber of America was also marketing 10-22 barrels, and Daewoo rifles in the same time period.
I agree. If the Kimber name adds anything it is not much. I have wanted a 6.5x55 for a while and was able to pick this one up pretty cheap. It still has the military trigger so I will change that. Pretty much everything else is ready to go.
I look for rifles like this. They interest me. I bought a 6mm built on a Springfield action awhile back that I have really enjoyed. I also have a 30-06 with a Mauser 98 action. All are excellent rifles that shoot great.

Last edited by Gary; 12-06-2010 at 10:22 AM.